2018 Maryland Code
Title 3 - Recordation
Subtitle 6 - Recording and Other Costs
§ 3-601. Recording costs
(a) In general. --
(1) In this subsection, "page" means one side of a leaf not larger than 8 1/2 inches wide by 14 inches long, or any portion of it.
(2) Except as provided in paragraph (4) of this subsection, before recording an instrument among the land or financing records, a clerk shall collect:
(i) $ 10 for a release 9 pages or less in length;
(ii) $ 20 for any other instrument 9 pages or less in length;
(iii) Except as provided in item (i) of this paragraph, $ 20 for an instrument, regardless of length, involving solely a principal residence; and
(iv) $ 75 for any other instrument 10 pages or more in length.
(3) The recording costs under this subsection shall also apply to instruments required to be recorded in the financing statement records of the State Department of Assessments and Taxation.
(4) A clerk may not collect a fee for the recordation of:
(i) A restrictive covenant modification executed under § 3-112 of this article; or
(ii) An amendment to the common area deeds or other declarations of a homeowners association that deletes a recorded covenant or restriction that restricts ownership based on race, religious belief, or national origin in accordance with § 11B-113.3 of this article.
(b) Refunds. --
(1) A person who submits a written refund claim for recording fees, including any recording surcharge, that have been overpaid to the clerk of a circuit court, is eligible for a refund of the amount overpaid from the clerk that collected the fees.
(2) A claim for a refund under paragraph (1) of this subsection shall be as required by regulations adopted by the State Court Administrator.