2018 Maryland Code
Title 10 - Sales of Property
Subtitle 8 - Miscellaneous Provisions
§ 10-801. Minimum visitability features
(a) Definitions. --
(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) "Home builder" means a person that undertakes to erect or otherwise construct a new home.
(3) "Minimum visitability features" means:
(i) A ground level entrance:
1. That has a width of 36 or more inches;
2. That is accessible from the outside of the new home or an attached garage; and
3. In which the threshold of the entrance is no more than 1.5 inches higher than the interior floor and the exterior landing; and
(ii) A circulation route from the ground level entrance to an unattached garage, parking space, or public right-of-way that is free of any curbs, steps, landings, obstacles, or other vertical changes in level that are more than 1.5 inches.
(i) "New home" means a newly constructed single-family dwelling unit.
(ii) "New home" does not include:
1. A custom home as defined in § 10-501 of this title; or
2. A mobile home as defined in § 8A-101 of this article.
(b) Section not applicable to certain new homes. -- This section does not apply to:
(1) A new home that is located above another new home;
(2) An attached new home;
(3) A new home:
(i) That does not have a garage; and
(ii) In which the slope between the finished ground level at all unit entrances to the nearest point along a property line that borders a public right-of-way is greater than 10%; or
(4) A new home in which compliance with the design flood elevation restrictions will cause:
(i) The finished floor to be more than 30 inches above the finished ground level at all unit entrances; or
(ii) The slope between the finished floor at all unit entrances to the nearest point along a property line that borders a public right-of-way to be greater than 10%.
(c) Section applicable to 11 or more new homes in subdivision. -- This section applies only to a home builder that constructs 11 or more new homes in a subdivision that contains 11 or more new homes.
(d) Offer of minimum vistability features. --
(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, at the time of offering new homes in a subdivision for sale, a home builder shall offer minimum visitability features as an option for purchase.
(2) The offer of minimum visitability features shall be accompanied by:
(i) A point of sale document that describes the minimum visitability features; and
(ii) A generic drawing or photograph that shows the minimum visitability features and the lots and new home types that are conducive to the minimum visitability features that could be constructed.