2018 Maryland Code
Labor and Employment
Title 9 - Workers' Compensation
Subtitle 2 - Covered Employees and Employers
§ 9-212. Jockey
(a) Scope of section. --
(1) This section applies to each jockey licensed by the State Racing Commission to ride a thoroughbred horse.
(2) This section applies only at a thoroughbred racing association or training facility under the jurisdiction of the State Racing Commission.
(b) Covered employee. -- A jockey is a covered employee while performing a service in connection with:
(1) live thoroughbred racing; or
(2) training a thoroughbred race horse, if the principal earnings of the jockey are based on money earned as a jockey during live racing and not as an exercise rider.
(c) Employer. --
(1) For the purposes of this title, the employer of a jockey who is a covered employee under this section is the Maryland Jockey Injury Compensation Fund, Inc.
(2) This subsection does not affect any other provision of law or practice.
(d) Action against third party. -- Notwithstanding any other provision of law, this section may not be construed to bar an action by a jockey against a third party.