2018 Maryland Code
Labor and Employment
Title 9 - Workers' Compensation
Subtitle 1 - Definitions; General Provisions
§ 9-105. Certificate of compliance
(a) Issuance of license or permit. -- Before a governmental unit may issue a license or permit to an employer to engage in an activity in which the employer might employ a covered employee, the employer shall submit to the governmental unit:
(1) a certificate of compliance with this title; or
(2) the number of a workers' compensation insurance policy or binder.
(b) Application forms. --
(1) The Commission shall provide blank application forms to each governmental unit that issues a license or permit under State law for applicants for the license or permit to use to get a certificate of compliance.
(2) The application form shall require information that will allow the Commission to determine whether the employer is in compliance with this title.
(c) Application procedure. -- To get a certificate of compliance with this title, an employer shall submit to the Commission an application on the form that the Commission provides.
(d) Determination. -- Within 10 days after the Commission receives an application form under this section, the Commission shall:
(1) determine whether the applicant is in compliance with this title; and
(2) mail to the applicant:
(i) a certificate of compliance; or
(ii) a notice of rejection, which shall include a statement of the reasons for the rejection.
(e) Reapplication or appeal. -- An applicant who receives a notice of rejection may:
(1) reapply for a certificate of compliance; or
(2) appeal the rejection in accordance with §§ 10-222 and 10-223 of the State Government Article.
(f) Regulations. -- The Commission shall adopt reasonable regulations to administer this section.
(g) Appropriations. -- Money for the administration of this section shall be included in the annual State budget.