2018 Maryland Code
Labor and Employment
Title 3 - Employment Standards and Conditions
Subtitle 9 - Workplace Fraud
§ 3-911. Civil action
(a) In general. --
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, an individual who has not been properly classified as an employee may bring a civil action for economic damages against the employer for any violation of this subtitle.
(2) An individual may not bring a civil action under this section if a final order of an administrative unit or of a court has been issued under § 3-906 of this subtitle.
(b) Timing. -- An action filed under this section shall be filed within 3 years after the date the cause of action accrues.
(c) Relief. -- If the court determines that an individual or class of individuals is entitled to judgment in an action against an employer filed in accordance with this section, the court may award each individual:
(1) any damages to which the individual may be entitled under subsection (a) of this section;
(2) an additional amount up to three times the amount of any such damages, if the employer knowingly failed to properly classify the individual;
(3) reasonable counsel fees and other costs of the action; and
(4) any other appropriate relief.