2018 Maryland Code
Title 27 - Unfair Trade Practices and Other Prohibited Practices
Subtitle 8 - Reporting and Preventing Insurance Fraud
§ 27-805. Required disclosure statements.
(a) "Claim form" defined. -- In this section, "claim form" means any document supplied by an insurer to a claimant that a claimant is required to complete and submit in support of a claim for benefits.
(b) In general. --
(1) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, all applications for insurance and all claim forms, regardless of the form of transmission, shall contain the following statement or a substantially similar statement:
(2) The lack of the statement required by paragraph (1) of this subsection does not constitute a defense in any legal proceeding.
- "Any person who knowingly or willfully presents a false or fraudulent claim for payment of a loss or benefit or who knowingly or willfully presents false information in an application for insurance is guilty of a crime and may be subject to fines and confinement in prison."
(c) Exceptions. -- Subsection (b)(1) of this section does not apply to:
(1) reinsurance applications or claim forms; or
(2) the uniform claims form for reimbursement of hospital services or the uniform claims form for reimbursement of health care practitioners services adopted by the Commissioner under § 15-1003 of this article.