2018 Maryland Code
Title 13 - Well Drillers
Subtitle 1 - Definitions; General Provisions
§ 13-101. Definitions
(a) In general. -- In this title the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) Board. -- "Board" means the State Board of Well Drillers.
(c) Geotechnical. -- "Geotechnical" refers to that category of well driller license which authorizes the practice of well drilling limited to wells constructed for the purpose of sampling, measuring, or test pumping for scientific, engineering, or regulatory purposes, including wells constructed specifically for the removal of contaminants from an aquifer, but not including water supply test wells.
(d) License. --
(1) "License" means, unless the context requires otherwise, any license issued by the Board under this title to practice well drilling.
(2) "License" includes, unless otherwise indicated:
(i) A well driller license; and
(ii) A restricted license.
(e) Person. -- "Person" means:
(1) The federal government, this State, any county, municipal corporation, or other political subdivision of this State, or any of their units;
(2) Any individual, receiver, trustee, guardian, personal representative, fiduciary, or representative of any kind; and
(3) Any partnership, firm, association, corporation, or other entity.
(f) Practice well drilling. -- "Practice well drilling" includes engaging in any of the following activities for profit:
(1) Making, altering, repairing, or sealing a well; or
(2) Installing, altering, repairing, or disconnecting well system equipment.
(g) Restricted license. -- "Restricted license" means any license issued by the Board that authorizes its holder to engage in some, but not all, of the activities which constitute the practice of well drilling.
(h) Water supply. -- "Water supply" refers to that category of well driller license which authorizes the practice of well drilling limited to wells constructed for the purpose of obtaining a water supply, including wells constructed for the purpose of installing a heat pump.
(i) Well. -- "Well" means any hole made in the ground:
(1) To explore for groundwater;
(2) To obtain or monitor groundwater;
(3) To inject water into any underground formation from which groundwater may be produced; or
(4) To transfer heat to or from the ground or groundwater, if the hole:
(i) Extends more than 20 feet below the surface of the ground; and
(ii) Is not a well for obtaining geothermal resources under § 5-601 of this article.
(j) Well driller license. -- "Well driller license" means any license issued by the Board to engage in all activities that constitute the practice of well drilling, including all activities permitted under any restricted license.
(k) Well system equipment. --
(1) "Well system equipment" means any equipment that is necessary to draw or purify water from a well.
(2) "Well system equipment" includes any casing, grout, screen, water tank, water pump, or water conditioning equipment.