2018 Maryland Code
Title 12 - Waterworks and Waste Systems Operators
Subtitle 2 - State Board of Waterworks and Waste Systems Operators
§ 12-202. Membership
(a) Composition; appointment of members. --
(1) The Board consists of 11 members.
(2) With the advice and consent of the Senate, the Governor shall appoint 8 members who represent one or more of the following:
(i) Municipal government;
(ii) County government;
(iii) A sanitary or a metropolitan commission;
(iv) Waterworks supervision;
(v) Wastewater works or industrial wastewater works supervision;
(vii) Industrial wastewater works superintendents; and
(viii) The Maryland Environmental Service.
(3) The Secretary shall appoint:
(i) 1 engineer member from the Department; and
(ii) 2 public members who represent the community at large.
(b) Oath. -- Before taking office, each appointee to the Board shall take the oath required by Article I, § 9 of the Maryland Constitution.
(c) Tenure of members appointed by Governor; vacancies. --
(1) The term of a member appointed by the Governor is 4 years.
(2) The terms of members are staggered as required by the terms provided for members of the Board on July 1, 1981. The terms of those members end as follows:
(i) Three in 1982;
(ii) One in 1983;
(iii) One in 1984; and
(iv) Two in 1985.
(3) At the end of a term, a member appointed by the Governor continues to serve until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(4) A member who is appointed by the Governor after a term has begun serves only for the rest of the term and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(d) Tenure of members appointed by the Secretary. -- The members appointed by the Secretary serve at the pleasure of the Secretary.
(e) Removal of members appointed by Governor. -- The Governor may remove for incompetence or misconduct a member appointed by the Governor.