2018 Maryland Code
Title 3 - Other Crimes Against the Person
Subtitle 8 - Stalking and Harassment
§ 3-807. Misuse of laser pointer -- Aiming at aircraft
(a) "Laser pointer" defined. -- In this section, "laser pointer" has the meaning stated in § 3-806 of this subtitle.
(b) Applicability. -- This section does not apply to the use of a laser pointer:
(1) by an individual conducting research and development or flight testing for an aircraft manufacturer or the Federal Aviation Administration;
(2) by a member of the United States Department of Defense or the United States Department of Homeland Security acting in an official capacity during an activity related to research and development, flight testing, or training;
(3) by a law enforcement officer, as defined in § 3-101 of the Public Safety Article, acting in an official capacity;
(4) by an individual attempting to make the individual's location known; or
(5) by an individual attempting to give a warning signal.
(c) In general. -- A person may not knowingly and willfully shine, point, or focus the beam of a laser pointer on an individual operating an aircraft.
(d) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $ 2,500 or both.