2018 Maryland Code
Title 3 - Other Crimes Against the Person
Subtitle 6 - Abuse and Other Offensive Conduct
§ 3-602. Sexual abuse of a minor
(a) Definitions. --
(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) "Family member" has the meaning stated in § 3-601 of this subtitle.
(3) "Household member" has the meaning stated in § 3-601 of this subtitle.
(i) "Sexual abuse" means an act that involves sexual molestation or exploitation of a minor, whether physical injuries are sustained or not.
(ii) "Sexual abuse" includes:
3. sexual offense in any degree;
4. sodomy; and
5. unnatural or perverted sexual practices.
(b) Prohibited. --
(1) A parent or other person who has permanent or temporary care or custody or responsibility for the supervision of a minor may not cause sexual abuse to the minor.
(2) A household member or family member may not cause sexual abuse to a minor.
(c) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 25 years.
(d) Sentencing. -- A sentence imposed under this section may be separate from and consecutive to or concurrent with a sentence for:
(1) any crime based on the act establishing the violation of this section; or
(2) a violation of § 3-601 of this subtitle involving an act of abuse separate from sexual abuse under this section.