2018 Maryland Code
Title 10 - Crimes Against Public Health, Conduct, and Sensibilities
Subtitle 6 - Crimes Relating to Animals
§ 10-616. Kennel inspection
(a) Scope of section. -- This section does not apply to premises:
(1) where dogs are kept or bred solely for medical or related research or laboratory tests;
(2) operated by a licensed and regularly practicing veterinarian; or
(3) where hunting dogs are housed, if the buying, selling, trading, or breeding is incidental to the main purposes of housing, keeping, and using dogs.
(b) Authority to inspect. --
(1) To determine if dogs are being treated inhumanely in violation of this subtitle or other law, an authorized director of a humane society, accompanied by a sheriff or a deputy sheriff, may inspect a premises:
(i) where a person is engaged in the business of buying, selling, trading, or breeding dogs; or
(ii) of a kennel where 25 or more dogs are kept.
(2) A person who inspects premises under paragraph (1) of this subsection shall give prior written notice of the time and date of the inspection to the owner or occupant of the premises.
(c) Local enforcement. --
(1) In Baltimore City, the Baltimore City Health Department shall enforce this section.
(2) In Baltimore County, the Baltimore County Department of Health, Division of Animal Control or an organization that the Baltimore County government approves shall enforce this section.