2018 Maryland Code
Title 10 - Crimes Against Public Health, Conduct, and Sensibilities
Subtitle 6 - Crimes Relating to Animals
§ 10-613. Sale of puppy or kitten
(a) Scope of section. -- This section does not apply to:
(1) a biomedical facility that is licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture; or
(2) an animal that is accompanied by a signed statement from a licensed veterinarian stating that the animal's dam is incapacitated for humane or medical reasons and cannot care for the animal.
(b) Prohibited. --
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person may not sell or distribute in the State or bring into the State for the purpose of sale or distribution a domestic dog or cat less than 8 weeks of age unless accompanied by its dam.
(2) A person may give an unaccompanied dog or cat to:
(i) an animal shelter or pound that is operated or supported by a government; or
(ii) a humane society.
(c) Penalty. --
(1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $ 500.
(2) For purposes of humane disposal, a court may seize an animal brought into this State in violation of this section.