2018 Maryland Code
Title 10 - Crimes Against Public Health, Conduct, and Sensibilities
Subtitle 6 - Crimes Relating to Animals
§ 10-610. Animal as prize
(a) Scope of section. -- This section does not apply to a person giving away an animal:
(1) as an agricultural project;
(2) for conservation purposes; or
(3) that is intended for slaughter.
(b) Prohibited. -- Without the approval of the Secretary of Agriculture, a person may not give away a live animal as:
(1) a prize for, or inducement to enter, a contest, game, or other competition;
(2) an inducement to enter a place of amusement; or
(3) an incentive to make a business agreement if the offer is to attract trade.
(c) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $ 500.