2018 Maryland Code
Title 10 - Crimes Against Public Health, Conduct, and Sensibilities
Subtitle 6 - Crimes Relating to Animals
§ 10-608. Aggravated cruelty to animals -- Certain activities related to cockfights prohibited
(a) "Implement of cockfighting" defined. --
(1) In this section, "implement of cockfighting" means any implement or device intended or designed:
(i) to enhance the fighting ability of a fowl, cock, or other bird; or
(ii) for use in a deliberately conducted event that uses a fowl, cock, or other bird to fight with another fowl, cock, or other bird.
(2) "Implement of cockfighting" includes:
(i) a gaff;
(ii) a slasher;
(iii) a postiza;
(iv) a sparring muff; and
(v) any other sharp implement designed to be attached in place of the natural spur of a gamecock or other fighting bird.
(b) Prohibited acts. -- A person may not:
(1) use or allow the use of a fowl, cock, or other bird to fight with another animal;
(2) possess, with the intent to unlawfully use, an implement of cockfighting;
(3) arrange or conduct a fight in which a fowl, cock, or other bird fights with another fowl, cock, or other bird;
(4) possess, own, sell, transport, or train a fowl, cock, or other bird with the intent to use the fowl, cock, or other bird in a cockfight; or
(5) knowingly allow premises under the person's ownership, charge, or control to be used to conduct a fight in which a fowl, cock, or other bird fights with another fowl, cock, or other bird.
(c) Penalty. --
(1) A person who violates this section is guilty of the felony of aggravated cruelty to animals and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $ 5,000 or both.
(2) As a condition of sentencing, the court may:
(i) order a defendant convicted of violating this section to participate in and pay for psychological counseling; and
(ii) prohibit a defendant from owning, possessing, or residing with an animal for a specified period of time.