There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Maryland Code
Title 21 - Vehicle Laws -- Rules of the Road
Subtitle 3 - Driving on Right Side of Roadway; Overtaking and Passing; Use of Roadway
§ 21-309. Driving on laned roadways
Universal Citation: MD Transp Code § 21-309 (2017)
- (a) General rule. -- On any roadway that is divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for vehicular traffic, the following rules, in addition to any others consistent with them, apply.
- (b) Driving in single lane required. -- A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within a single lane and may not be moved from that lane or moved from a shoulder or bikeway into a lane until the driver has determined that it is safe to do so.
- (c) When driving in center of three lanes permitted. -- On a roadway that is divided into three lanes and that provides for two-way movement of traffic, a vehicle may not be driven in the center lane except:
- (1) While overtaking and passing another vehicle going in the same direction and while the center lane is clear of traffic within a safe distance;
- (2) In preparing to make a left turn; or
- (3) When the center lane is allocated exclusively to traffic moving in the same direction that the vehicle is going and the allocation is designated by a traffic control device.
- (d) Obedience to traffic control devices. -- The driver of a vehicle shall obey the directions of each traffic control device that directs specified traffic to use a designated lane or that designates those lanes to be used by traffic moving in a particular direction, regardless of the center of the roadway.
- (e) Lane changing devices -- In general. -- The driver of a vehicle shall obey the directions of each traffic control device that prohibits changing lanes on sections of a roadway.
- (f) Lane changing devices -- Trucks, truck tractors, trailers, or buses. -- On a roadway that has two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, the driver of any truck, truck tractor, trailer, or bus shall obey the directions of each traffic control device that requires the vehicle to be driven in a certain lane.
- (g) Two-way left turn lanes -- In general. -- On a roadway along which a two-way left turn lane has been provided through traffic control devices, vehicles may not enter that lane except when preparing for or making a left turn from or into the roadway or when preparing for or making a U-turn, and may enter only if the lane is clear of an opposing movement.
- (h) Two-way left turn lanes -- Distance driven in making left turn. -- A vehicle shall be driven within a lane described under subsection (g) of this section the shortest distance practicable prior to making a left turn or U-turn or after making a left turn.
- (i) Two-way left turn lanes -- Left turns made only from within certain lanes. -- On roadways along which a two-way left turn lane has been placed, left turns shall be made only from within such lane.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.