There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Maryland Code
Title 21 - Vehicle Laws -- Rules of the Road
Subtitle 3 - Driving on Right Side of Roadway; Overtaking and Passing; Use of Roadway
§ 21-303. General rules governing overtaking and passing vehicles
Universal Citation: MD Transp Code § 21-303 (2017)
- (a) In general. -- Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, this section governs the overtaking and passing of vehicles going in the same direction.
- (b) Overtaking vehicle to pass to the left. -- The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle that is going in the same direction shall pass to the left of the overtaken vehicle at a safe distance.
- (c) Overtaking vehicles going in the same direction. -- The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle that is going in the same direction, until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle, may not drive any part of his vehicle directly in front of the overtaken vehicle.
- (d) Overtaken vehicle to give way to right. -- Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle, on audible signal, shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle.
- (e) Duty of driver of overtaken vehicle. -- Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle, until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle, may not increase the speed of his vehicle.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.