There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Maryland Code
Title 18 - Vehicle Laws -- For-Rent Vehicles
§ 18-107. Daily rental rates
Universal Citation: MD Transp Code § 18-107 (2017)
- (a) In general. -- A person who rents a motor vehicle to a consumer shall:
- (1) Compute the daily rental rate based on a 24-hour period, starting at the time the rental begins;
- (2) Make a notation on the rental agreement of the time the rental begins; and
- (3) Inform the consumer that:
- (i) The daily rental fee is based on a 24-hour period; and
- (ii) The time the rental begins is noted on the rental agreement.
- (b) Exceptions. -- This section does not apply if:
- (1) A person rents a motor vehicle to a consumer; and
- (2) The rental vehicle is:
- (i) A temporary substitute for a vehicle that is out of service because of breakdown, repair, servicing, loss, or destruction; and
- (ii) Covered as a temporary substitute vehicle under the consumer's comprehensive and collision coverage.
- (c) Charge for use after rental vehicle returned prohibited; disclosures. --
- (1) Regardless of whether a consumer complies with a requirement by a rental company to notify the rental company in advance of intent to return the vehicle, the rental company may not charge for the use of a rental vehicle after the vehicle has been returned.
- (2) If a rental agreement requires the consumer to notify the rental company in advance of intent to return the vehicle, the rental company shall make the following written disclosure to the consumer in at least 10 point type:
- "Regardless of whether you comply with a requirement by the rental company to notify the rental company in advance of your intent to return the vehicle, the rental company may not charge for the use of the rental vehicle after you have returned the vehicle."
- (d) Violation of section. -- In addition to any remedies otherwise available at law, a violation of this section shall be an unfair or deceptive trade practice under Title 13, Subtitle 3 of the Commercial Law Article.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.