There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Maryland Code
Title 16 - Vehicle Laws -- Drivers' Licenses
Subtitle 5 - Driver Education Program
§ 16-505. Regulations; jurisdiction of Administration and Department of Education
Universal Citation: MD Transp Code § 16-505 (2017)
- (a) Adoption and enforcement of regulations. -- The Administration shall, in consultation with the State Department of Education, adopt and enforce regulations not inconsistent with this subtitle to implement a standardized driver education program conducted by driver education schools under its jurisdiction.
- (b) Content of regulations. -- Regulations adopted under this section shall be administered by the Administration and shall include:
- (1) Curriculum, equipment, and facility standards for classroom, laboratory, and on-road instruction phases;
- (2) Minimum student performance standards for an approved driver education program based upon the standardized curriculum approved by the Administration, consisting of at least 30 hours of classroom instruction and at least 6 hours of highway driving instruction;
- (3) Standards for the certification of schools and instructors;
- (4) A system to evaluate the effectiveness of the driver education program;
- (5) Standards governing the required offering of the driver education program, based on the capacity, enrollment, staff, and facilities of the schools; and
- (6) Standards for the eligibility of individuals to enroll in the program.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.