2017 Maryland Code
Title 16 - Vehicle Laws -- Drivers' Licenses
Subtitle 1 - Issuance, Expiration, and Renewal of Licenses
§ 16-110.2. Vision requirements -- Bioptic telescopic lenses
- (a) "Bioptic telescopic lens" defined. -- In this section, "bioptic telescopic lens" means a spectacle mounted telescopic/telescopics telescope placed at the top of a corrective vision lens and designed to increase visual acuity and aid in spotting distant objects at a glance.
- (b) Noncommercial Class C licenses. -- Notwithstanding any other requirements under this subtitle, an applicant using bioptic telescopic lenses shall be eligible for a noncommercial Class C driver's license under this subtitle if the applicant:
- (i) Demonstrates a visual acuity of at least 20/100 in one or both eyes and a field of 150 degrees horizontal vision with or without corrective lenses; or
- (ii) If the applicant has vision in one eye only, demonstrates a field of at least 100 degrees horizontal vision;
- (2) Demonstrates a visual acuity of at least 20/70 in one or both eyes with the bioptic telescopic lenses and without the use of field expanders;
- (3) Submits a report of examination by a licensed ophthalmologist or optometrist for evaluation by the Medical Advisory Board under § 16-118 of this subtitle; and
- (4) Meets all the other requirements for licensure under this title.
- (c) Learner's instructional permits. -- An applicant using bioptic telescopic lenses shall be eligible for a learner's instructional permit under § 16-103 of this subtitle if the applicant meets the requirements of subsection (b) of this section.
- (d) Restricted license; "night blindness". --
- (1) Except as provided in subsection (e) of this section, a license issued in compliance with this section authorizes the licensee to operate a motor vehicle only during the period beginning one-half hour after sunrise and ending one-half hour before sunset.
- (2) If the applicant is eligible for a license under paragraph (1) of this subsection, the Administration shall issue to the applicant a restricted license endorsed "daylight driving only".
- (e) Unrestricted license; hours of operation. -- A licensee under this section may operate a motor vehicle without any restriction regarding hours of operation if the licensee:
- (1) Demonstrates a visual acuity of at least 20/40 in one or both eyes with the bioptic telescopic lenses and without the use of field expanders;
- (2) Has been licensed under this section for at least one year; and
- (3) Passes a skills test taken at night.
- (f) Applicability of section. -- This section only applies to an applicant who:
- (1) Is granted a license under this section on or before September 30, 1997; and
- (2) Continues to qualify for a license under this section.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.