There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Maryland Code
Tax - General
Title 12 - Tobacco Tax
Subtitle 1 - Definitions; General Provisions
§ 12-103. Presumption of taxability; contraband tobacco products; burden of proof
Universal Citation: MD Tax-Gen Code § 12-103 (2017)
- (a) Presumption of taxability. -- A rebuttable presumption exists that any cigarette or other tobacco product in the State is subject to the tobacco tax.
- (b) Contraband tobacco products. -- Cigarettes or other tobacco products are contraband tobacco products if they:
- (1) are possessed or sold in the State in a manner that is not authorized under this title or under Title 16 or Title 16.5 of the Business Regulation Article; or
- (2) are transported by vehicle in the State by a person who does not have, in the vehicle, the records required by § 16-219 or § 16.5-215 of the Business Regulation Article for the transportation of cigarettes or other tobacco products.
- (c) Burden of proof. -- A person who possesses cigarettes or other tobacco products has the burden of proving that the cigarettes or other tobacco products are not subject to the tobacco tax.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.