2017 Maryland Code
Title 2 - Rules of Construction
§ 2-123. Adoptees
- (a) "Instrument" defined. -- In this section, "instrument" means a deed, grant, or other written instrument other than a will as defined in § 4-414 of the Estates and Trusts Article.
- (b) Construction of section. -- This section does not limit the right of an individual to provide for distribution of property by will.
- (c) Construction of instrument. --
- (1) Unless an instrument executed on or after June 1, 1947, clearly indicates otherwise, "child", "descendant", "heir", "issue", or any equivalent term in the instrument includes an adoptee whether the instrument was executed before or after a court entered an order for adoption.
- (2) Unless an instrument executed on or before May 31, 1947, clearly indicates otherwise, "child", "descendant", "heir", "issue", or any equivalent term in the instrument includes an adoptee if, on or after January 1, 1945, a court entered an interlocutory order for adoption or, if none, a final order for adoption.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.