There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Maryland Code
Title 10 - Sales of Property
Subtitle 3 - Deposits on New Homes
§ 10-302. Bond payable to State; deposit; form of bond; penalty of blanket bond
Universal Citation: MD Real Prop Code § 10-302 (2017)
- (a) Bond to be payable to State; deposit. -- The bond shall be payable to the State for the use and benefit of every person protected by the provisions of this subtitle. The vendor or purchaser shall deposit the bond with the Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General.
- (b) Form of surety bond generally. -- The corporate surety bond obtained pursuant to the provisions of § 10-301(a) of this subtitle shall be in a form approved by the Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General. The bond may be either in the form of an individual bond for each deposit accepted by a vendor or builder or if the total amount of money and deposits accepted by the builder or vendor exceeds $ 10,000, it may be in the form of a blanket bond assuring the return of the deposits received by the vendor or builder.
- (c) Bond penalty in case of blanket bond. -- If the bond is a blanket bond, the penalty of the bond shall be in accordance with the following schedule:
Total Amount of Deposits Held Penalty of Bond
(1) $ 10,000 to $ 75,000 Full amount of
(2) $ 75,000 to $ 200,000 $ 75,000
(3) $ 200,000 to $ 500,000 $ 200,000
(4) Over $ 500,000 $ 500,000
- (d) Determination of total amount of deposits. -- For the purpose of determining the penalty of any blanket bond which the vendor or builder maintains in any calendar year, the total amount of deposits considered held by a vendor or builder shall be determined as of May 31 of any given calendar year and the penalty of the bond shall be in accordance with the amount of deposits held as of May 31.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.