2017 Maryland Code
Labor and Employment
Title 9 - Workers' Compensation
Subtitle 9 - Liability of Third Parties
§ 9-903. Effect of receipt of amount in action
- (a) In general. -- Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, if a covered employee or the dependents of a covered employee receive an amount in an action:
- (1) the amount is in place of any award that otherwise could be made under this title; and
- (2) the case is finally closed and settled.
- (b) Exception. -- If the amount of damages received by the covered employee or the dependents of the covered employee is less than the amount that the covered employee or dependents would otherwise be entitled to receive under this title, the covered employee or dependents may reopen the claim for compensation to recover the difference between:
- (1) the amount of damages received by the covered employee or dependents; and
- (2) the full amount of compensation that otherwise would be payable under this title.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.