2017 Maryland Code
Labor and Employment
Title 9 - Workers' Compensation
Subtitle 10 - Uninsured Employers
§ 9-1015. Payment by Maryland Jockey Injury Compensation Fund, Inc
- (a) Application. -- A jockey who is a covered employee under § 9-212 of this title while performing a service in connection with training or the dependents of the jockey may apply for payment from the Maryland Jockey Injury Compensation Fund, Inc. if the employer of the jockey is in default on a claim under § 9-1002(b) of this subtitle.
- (b) Payment. -- On receipt of an application for payment, the Maryland Jockey Injury Compensation Fund, Inc. shall pay the award.
- (c) Subrogation; actions by Fund. --
- (1) If the Maryland Jockey Injury Compensation Fund, Inc. makes payment under this section to a covered employee or the dependents of the covered employee as directed by the Commission, the Maryland Jockey Injury Compensation Fund, Inc. is subrogated to the rights of the covered employee or dependents against the uninsured employer.
- (2) The Maryland Jockey Injury Compensation Fund, Inc. may:
- (i) institute a civil action against the uninsured employer to recover the money paid under the award;
- (ii) refer the matter to the Maryland Racing Commission for suspension or revocation of the occupational license of the uninsured employer;
- (iii) refer the matter to the appropriate authority for prosecution under § 9-1108 of this title; or
- (iv) take action under any combination or all of items (i) through (iii) of this paragraph.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.