2017 Maryland Code
Labor and Employment
Title 9 - Workers' Compensation
Subtitle 1 - Definitions; General Provisions
§ 9-101. Definitions
- (a) In general. -- In this title the following words have the meanings indicated.
- (b) Accidental personal injury. -- "Accidental personal injury" means:
- (1) an accidental injury that arises out of and in the course of employment;
- (2) an injury caused by a willful or negligent act of a third person directed against a covered employee in the course of the employment of the covered employee; or
- (3) a disease or infection that naturally results from an accidental injury that arises out of and in the course of employment, including:
- (i) an occupational disease; and
- (ii) frostbite or sunstroke caused by a weather condition.
- (c) Child. -- "Child" includes:
- (1) an adopted child;
- (2) an illegitimate child;
- (3) a posthumous child; and
- (4) a stepchild.
- (d) Commission. -- "Commission" means the State Workers' Compensation Commission.
- (e) Compensation. --
- (1) "Compensation" means the money payable under this title to a covered employee or the dependents of a covered employee.
- (2) "Compensation" includes funeral benefits payable under this title.
- (f) Covered employee. -- "Covered employee" means an individual listed in Subtitle 2 of this title for whom a person, a governmental unit, or a quasi-public corporation is required by law to provide coverage under this title.
- (g) Occupational disease. -- "Occupational disease" means a disease contracted by a covered employee:
- (1) as the result of and in the course of employment; and
- (2) that causes the covered employee to become temporarily or permanently, partially or totally incapacitated.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.