There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Maryland Code
Title 27 - Unfair Trade Practices and Other Prohibited Practices
Subtitle 8 - Reporting and Preventing Insurance Fraud
§ 27-801. Definitions
Universal Citation: MD Ins Code § 27-801 (2017)
- (a) In general. -- In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
- (b) Fraud Division. -- "Fraud Division" means the Insurance Fraud Division in the Administration.
- (c) Insurance fraud. -- "Insurance fraud" means:
- (1) a violation of Subtitle 4 of this title;
- (2) theft, as set out in §§ 7-101 through 7-104 of the Criminal Law Article:
- (i) from a person regulated under this article; or
- (ii) by a person regulated under this article or an officer, director, agent, or employee of a person regulated under this article; or
- (3) any other fraudulent activity that is committed by or against a person regulated under this article and is a violation of:
- (i) Title 1, Subtitle 3 of the Agriculture Article;
- (ii) Title 19, Subtitle 2 or Subtitle 3 of the Business Regulation Article;
- (iii) Title 14, Subtitle 29, § 11-810 or § 14-1317 of the Commercial Law Article;
- (iv) the Criminal Law Article other than Title 8, Subtitle 2, Part II or § 10-614;
- (v) Title 12, Subtitle 9 of the Financial Institutions Article;
- (vi) § 14-127 of the Real Property Article;
- (vii) § 6-301 of the Alcoholic Beverages Article;
- (viii) § 109 of the Code of Public Local Laws of Caroline County;
- (ix) § 4-103 of the Code of Public Local Laws of Carroll County; or
- (x) § 8A-1 of the Code of Public Local Laws of Talbot County.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.