2017 Maryland Code
Title 27 - Unfair Trade Practices and Other Prohibited Practices
Subtitle 7 - Unauthorized Insurers False Advertising Process Act
§ 27-702. Purpose of subtitle; additional power; liberal construction
- (a) Purpose of subtitle. --
- (1) The General Assembly declares that it is in the interest of citizens of the State who buy insurance from unauthorized insurers that solicit business in the State by placing in or sending into the State false advertising designed to induce residents of the State to buy insurance from them, that those unauthorized insurers be subject to this subtitle.
- (2) The purpose of this subtitle is to subject to the jurisdiction of the Commissioner and the courts of the State those unauthorized insurers described in paragraph (1) of this subsection.
- (3) In furtherance of this State interest, the General Assembly provides a method of substituted service of process on those unauthorized insurers described in paragraph (1) of this subsection.
- (4) The General Assembly declares that by enacting this subtitle, the General Assembly is exercising:
- (i) its power to protect the residents of the State; and
- (ii) its powers and privileges under the McCarran-Ferguson Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 1011 through 1015.
- (b) Additional power. -- The authority provided in this subtitle is in addition to any other powers of the State.
- (c) Liberal construction. -- This subtitle shall be construed liberally.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.