2017 Maryland Code
Division II - Elementary and Secondary Education
Title 7 - Public Schools
Subtitle 3 - Attendance and Discipline of Students
§ 7-302. Report of absences and maladjustment
- (a) Immediate report required. -- The principal or head teacher of each public or private school in this State shall report immediately to the county superintendent, the supervisor of pupil personnel, or any other official designated by the county superintendent the name of each child enrolled in his school who has been absent or irregular in attendance, without lawful excuse, or who shows evidence of maladjustment, so that the causes may be studied and solutions worked out.
- (b) Investigation; counseling; notice to Department of Juvenile Services. -- On receipt of a report from a principal or head teacher of a public school that a student has been habitually truant without lawful excuse, the appropriate representative of the school system:
- (1) Shall initiate an investigation into the cause of the child's truancy;
- (2) May provide counseling regarding the availability of social, health, and educational services; and
- (3) Following the investigation or intervention:
- (i) May notify the Department of Juvenile Services that the student has been habitually truant, without lawful excuse;
- (ii) Shall notify the appropriate local department that the student has been habitually truant, without lawful excuse, if a court has given the notice authorized by § 3-819(b-1) of the Courts Article; and
- (iii) Shall notify the Department of Juvenile Services that the student has been habitually truant, without lawful excuse, if a court has given the notice authorized by § 3-8A-19(d)(6) of the Courts Article.
- (c) Student information. -- The county superintendent, the superintendent's designee, or the supervisor of pupil personnel shall provide to the local education agency information regarding the number of students identified as being habitually truant.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.