2017 Maryland Code
Title 3 - Other Crimes Against the Person
Subtitle 3 - Sexual Crimes
§ 3-307. Sexual offense in the third degree
- (a) Prohibited. -- A person may not:
- (i) engage in sexual contact with another without the consent of the other; and
- 1. employ or display a dangerous weapon, or a physical object that the victim reasonably believes is a dangerous weapon;
- 2. suffocate, strangle, disfigure, or inflict serious physical injury on the victim or another in the course of committing the crime;
- 3. threaten, or place the victim in fear, that the victim, or an individual known to the victim, imminently will be subject to death, suffocation, strangulation, disfigurement, serious physical injury, or kidnapping; or
- 4. commit the crime while aided and abetted by another;
- (2) engage in sexual contact with another if the victim is a substantially cognitively impaired individual, a mentally incapacitated individual, or a physically helpless individual, and the person performing the act knows or reasonably should know the victim is a substantially cognitively impaired individual, a mentally incapacitated individual, or a physically helpless individual;
- (3) engage in sexual contact with another if the victim is under the age of 14 years, and the person performing the sexual contact is at least 4 years older than the victim;
- (4) engage in a sexual act with another if the victim is 14 or 15 years old, and the person performing the sexual act is at least 21 years old; or
- (5) engage in vaginal intercourse with another if the victim is 14 or 15 years old, and the person performing the act is at least 21 years old.
- (b) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of the felony of sexual offense in the third degree and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 10 years.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.