2017 Maryland Code
Title 2 - Homicide
Subtitle 5 - Homicide by Motor Vehicle or Vessel While Impaired or Under the Influence
§ 2-504. Homicide by motor vehicle or vessel while impaired by alcohol
- (a) Prohibited. -- A person may not cause the death of another as a result of the person's negligently driving, operating, or controlling a motor vehicle or vessel while impaired by alcohol.
- (b) Name of crime. -- A violation of this section is homicide by motor vehicle or vessel while impaired by alcohol.
- (c) Penalty. --
- (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who violates this section is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $ 5,000 or both.
- (i) A person who violates this section, having previously been convicted under this section, § 2-209, § 2-210, § 2-503, § 2-505, § 2-506, or § 3-211 of this article, or § 21-902 of the Transportation Article, is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or a fine not exceeding $ 10,000 or both.
- (ii) For the purposes of application of subsequent offender penalties under subparagraph (i) of this paragraph, a conviction for a crime committed in another state or federal jurisdiction that, if committed in this State would constitute a violation of this section, § 2-209, § 2-210, § 2-503, § 2-505, § 2-506, or § 3-211 of this article, or § 21-902 of the Transportation Article, shall be considered a violation of this section.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.