2017 Maryland Code
Title 10 - Crimes Against Public Health, Conduct, and Sensibilities
Subtitle 6 - Crimes Relating to Animals
§ 10-610. Animal as prize
- (a) Scope of section. -- This section does not apply to a person giving away an animal:
- (1) as an agricultural project;
- (2) for conservation purposes; or
- (3) that is intended for slaughter.
- (b) Prohibited. -- Without the approval of the Secretary of Agriculture, a person may not give away a live animal as:
- (1) a prize for, or inducement to enter, a contest, game, or other competition;
- (2) an inducement to enter a place of amusement; or
- (3) an incentive to make a business agreement if the offer is to attract trade.
- (c) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $ 500.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.