2017 Maryland Code
Title 4 - Bank Deposits and Collections
Subtitle 3 - Collection of Items; Payor Banks
§ 4-301. Deferred posting; recovery of payment by return of items; time of dishonor; return of items by payor bank
- (a) If a payor bank settles for a demand item other than a documentary draft presented otherwise than for immediate payment over the counter before midnight of the banking day of receipt, the payor bank may revoke the settlement and recover the item if, before it has made final payment and before its midnight deadline, it
- (1) Returns the item; or
- (2) Sends written notice of dishonor or nonpayment if the item is unavailable for return.
- (b) If a demand item is received by a payor bank for credit on its books it may return the item or send notice of dishonor and may revoke any credit given or recover the amount thereof withdrawn by its customer, if it acts within the time limit and in the manner specified in subsection (a).
- (c) Unless previous notice of dishonor has been sent, an item is dishonored at the time when for purposes of dishonor it is returned or notice sent in accordance with this section.
- (d) An item is returned:
- (1) As to an item presented through a clearing house, when it is delivered to the presenting or last collecting bank or to the clearing house or is sent or delivered in accordance with clearing-house rules; or
- (2) In all other cases, when it is sent or delivered to the bank's customer or transferor or pursuant to instructions.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.