2016 Maryland Code
Title 21 - Vehicle Laws -- Rules of the Road
Subtitle 8 - Speed Restrictions
§ 21-803.1. School zones
(a) Establishment. --
(1) Subject to subsection (f) of this section, within a half-mile radius of any school, the State Highway Administration or a local authority:
(i) May establish a school zone and maximum speed limits applicable in the school zone; and
(ii) Subject to subsection (d) of this section, may provide that fines are to be doubled for speeding violations within the school zone.
(2) (i) The State Highway Administration may establish a school zone under paragraph (1) of this subsection on any State highway or, at the request of a local authority, on any highway under the jurisdiction of the local authority.
(ii) A local authority may establish a school zone under paragraph (1) of this subsection on any highway under its jurisdiction.
(iii) In Prince George's County, a municipal corporation may establish a school zone under paragraph (1) of this subsection on any highway that:
1. Is not under State jurisdiction; and
2. Is located within the corporate limits of the municipal corporation.
(b) Signs. --
(1) On each highway where a school zone is established under this section, in accordance with specifications of the State Highway Administration, the State Highway Administration or local authority:
(i) Shall place signs designating the school zone; and
(ii) May place other traffic control devices, including timed flashing warning lights.
(2) The signs designating a school zone shall indicate the maximum speed limit applicable in the school zone.
(3) The local authority shall pay the State Highway Administration the cost of placing and maintaining signs and other traffic control devices on highways under the jurisdiction of the local authority when the State Highway Administration establishes the school zone at the local authority's request.
(4) In Prince George's County, a municipal corporation shall be responsible for the cost of placing and maintaining signs and other traffic control devices for a school zone that the municipal corporation establishes on a highway within its corporate limits.
(c) When limit effective. -- A maximum speed limit in a school zone established under this section is in effect when posted on appropriate signs giving notice of the limit.
(d) Speeding. -- The fines for speeding in a school zone are double the amount that would otherwise apply if, in accordance with specifications adopted by the State Highway Administration:
(1) (i) A sign designating a school zone under this section is equipped with timed flashing warning lights and indicates that fines for speeding are doubled when the lights are activated; and
(ii) The lights are activated at the time the violation occurs; or
(2) A sign designating a school zone under this section indicates that fines for speeding are doubled during school hours.
(e) Speed limit. -- A person may not drive a motor vehicle at a speed exceeding the posted speed limit within a school zone established in accordance with subsection (d) of this section.
(f) Crossing guard. -- In any school zone where a school crossing guard is posted to assist students in crossing a highway, the maximum speed limit may not exceed 35 miles per hour in the school zone during the hours posted on signs designating the school zone.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.