2016 Maryland Code
Health - General
Title 19 - Health Care Facilities
Subtitle 3 - Hospitals and Related Institutions
Part XI - Designation of Lay Caregivers.
§ 19-380. Definitions.
(a) In general. -- In this part the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) Aftercare. --
(1) "Aftercare" means any assistance provided by a lay caregiver to a patient after discharge of the patient.
(2) "Aftercare" includes tasks that are limited to the patient's condition at the time of discharge that do not require a licensed professional.
(c) Discharge. -- "Discharge" means the exit or release of a patient from inpatient care in a hospital to the residence of the patient.
(d) Lay caregiver. -- "Lay caregiver" means an individual who:
(1) Is an adult;
(2) Is designated as a lay caregiver by a patient or the legal guardian of a patient under this part; and
(3) Performs aftercare for the patient at the residence of the patient.
(e) Residence. --
(1) "Residence" means a dwelling that a patient considers to be home.
(2) "Residence" does not include:
(i) A rehabilitation facility;
(ii) A hospital;
(iii) A nursing home;
(iv) An assisted living facility; or
(v) A group home licensed by the State.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.