2016 Maryland Code
Title 5 - Children
Subtitle 7A - State Council on Child Abuse and Neglect
§ 5-7A-02. Membership.
(a) Composition. -- The Council consists of up to 23 members including:
(1) one member of the Senate of Maryland appointed by the President of the Senate;
(2) one member of the House of Delegates appointed by the Speaker of the House;
(3) a representative of the Department of Human Resources, appointed by the Secretary of Human Resources;
(4) a representative of the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, appointed by the Secretary of Health and Mental Hygiene;
(5) a representative of the Maryland State Department of Education, designated by the Superintendent;
(6) a representative of the Department of Juvenile Services, designated by the Secretary;
(7) a representative of the Judicial Branch, designated by the Chief Judge of the Maryland Court of Appeals;
(8) a representative of the State's Attorneys' Association, designated by the Association;
(9) a pediatrician with experience in diagnosing and treating injuries and child abuse and neglect, who shall be appointed by the Governor from a list submitted by the Maryland chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics;
(10) members of the general public with interest or expertise in the prevention or treatment of child abuse and neglect who shall be appointed by the Governor and who shall include representatives from professional and advocacy groups, private social service agencies, and the medical, law enforcement, education, and religious communities; and
(11) at least two individuals who have personal experience with child abuse and neglect within their own families or who have been clients of the child protective services system who shall be appointed by the Governor.
(b) Terms for appointed members. --
(1) The term of a member appointed under subsection (a)(9), (10), or (11) of this section is 3 years.
(2) An appointed member may serve up to two consecutive 3-year terms.
(3) In case of a vacancy, the Governor shall appoint a successor for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(c) Terms for other members. -- All other members of the Council shall continue in office so long as they hold the required qualification and designation specified in subsection (a)(1) through (8) of this section.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.