2016 Maryland Code
Title 5 - Children
Subtitle 7 - Child Abuse and Neglect
§ 5-707. Reports and records
(a) Confidentiality. -- Subject to federal and State law, the Administration shall provide by regulation adopted in accordance with Title 10, Subtitle 1 of the State Government Article:
(1) procedures for protecting the confidentiality of reports and records made in accordance with this subtitle;
(2) conditions under which information may be released;
(3) conditions for determining in cases whether abuse, neglect, or sexual abuse is indicated, ruled out, or unsubstantiated; and
(4) procedures for the appeal processes provided in this subtitle.
(b) Expungement. --
(1) The local department shall expunge a report of suspected abuse or neglect and all assessments and investigative findings:
(i) within 5 years after the date of referral if the investigation under § 5-706 of this subtitle concludes that the report is unsubstantiated, and no further reports of abuse or neglect are received during the 5 years; and
(ii) subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, within 2 years after the date of referral if the report is ruled out, and no further reports of abuse or neglect are received during the 2 years.
(2) If a report is ruled out, the local department may, on good cause shown, immediately expunge the report and all assessments and investigative findings.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.