2016 Maryland Code
Title 5 - Children
Subtitle 7 - Child Abuse and Neglect
§ 5-706.3. Intervention
(a) Intervention systems. -- The Department of Human Resources, in cooperation with the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, shall develop intervention systems in at least four counties designated by the Secretary of Human Resources that:
(1) include drug treatment for a mother of a child who is born drug exposed and supportive services for the family of the child; and
(2) serve 300 families.
(b) Initiation of intervention. -- An intervention shall be initiated when:
(1) a child is born drug exposed; and
(2) medical personnel have determined that the child is at a high risk of abuse or neglect.
(c) Assistance to mother. -- Subject to the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) of this section, the local department of social services and the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene shall assist the mother of a child who is born drug exposed in:
(1) obtaining drug treatment; and
(2) providing supportive services to maintain family unity.
(d) Petition for State custody. -- A CINA petition shall be filed on behalf of a child who is born drug exposed, if:
(1) the mother refuses the recommended level of drug treatment, or does not successfully complete the recommended level of drug treatment;
(2) the mother is unable to provide adequate care for the child; and
(3) the father is unable to provide adequate care for the child.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.