2016 Maryland Code
Title 5 - Children
Subtitle 10 - Paternity Proceedings
Part III - Pleading, Process, and Practice
§ 5-1016. Voluntary support agreement
(a) Settlement proposals. --
(1) Before or after the filing of a complaint, the alleged father may propose a settlement concerning the child's support whether the alleged father admits or denies paternity.
(2) The proposed contribution may be in a lump sum, installments, or otherwise.
(b) Conditions for settlement. -- A settlement agreement shall be prepared, executed, and submitted to the court for approval if:
(1) the complainant agrees to accept the settlement;
(2) the State's Attorney is satisfied that the amount and terms of the settlement are fair and reasonable;
(3) the complainant has been advised properly regarding the contents of the settlement; and
(4) the complainant is competent to accept the settlement.
(c) Incorporation in order. -- If the court approves the settlement agreement, the terms of the agreement shall be incorporated in a court order.
(d) Effect of order. -- A court order incorporating a settlement agreement is as enforceable as any order that is passed after a hearing.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.