2016 Maryland Code
Title 5 - Children
Subtitle 10 - Paternity Proceedings
Part III - Pleading, Process, and Practice
§ 5-1014. Warrant; summons; bond
(a) In general. -- When a complaint is filed under this subtitle, the court may issue, to assure the appearance of the defendant at trial:
(1) a summons for the appearance of the defendant; or
(2) a warrant for the arrest of the defendant.
(b) Summons. --
(1) The summons shall state the time and place for the defendant to appear at trial.
(2) If the defendant fails to appear as directed in the summons, the court may issue, at any time, a warrant for the defendant's arrest.
(c) Warrant. -- The arrest warrant shall direct any officer of this State who is authorized to execute warrants to bring the defendant before the court to answer and have the matters in the complaint adjudicated.
(d) Bond. --
(1) If a defendant is arrested under a warrant, the defendant shall be taken before:
(i) the court that issued the warrant; or
(ii) a commissioner of the District Court.
(2) The court or commissioner shall set bond for the defendant. The bond shall be conditioned on:
(i) the defendant's appearance in the issuing court on the date and at the time specified in the warrant; and
(ii) the defendant's obedience to any order of the court in the proceedings.
(3) The court or commissioner may require on the bond the securities or sureties the court or the commissioner considers appropriate.
(4) If the defendant does not give bond, the court or commissioner shall order the defendant imprisoned in the city or county jail until bond is given or until the issuing court discharges the defendant.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.