2016 Maryland Code
Title 5 - Children
Subtitle 1 - Definitions
§ 5-101. Definitions
(a) In general. -- In this title the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) Adoptive parent. -- "Adoptive parent" means an individual who completes adoption of another individual.
(c) Child placement agency. -- "Child placement agency" means:
(1) a local department; or
(2) a private agency that is licensed by the Social Services Administration of the Department under § 5-507 of this title, or by a comparable governmental unit of another state, to place children.
(d) Crime of violence. -- "Crime of violence":
(1) has the meaning stated in § 14-101 of the Criminal Law Article; or
(2) as to a crime committed in another state, means a crime that, if committed in this State, would be a crime of violence as defined in § 14-101 of the Criminal Law Article.
(e) Department. -- "Department" means the State Department of Human Resources.
(f) Disability. -- "Disability" means:
(1) alcohol dependence, as defined in § 8-101 of the Health - General Article;
(2) drug dependence, as defined in § 8-101 of the Health - General Article;
(3) a mental disorder, as defined in § 10-101 of the Health - General Article; or
(4) intellectual disability, as defined in § 7-101 of the Health - General Article.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.