2016 Maryland Code
Title 4 - Weapon Crimes
Subtitle 1 - General Provisions
§ 4-104. Child's access to firearms
(a) Definitions. --
(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) "Ammunition" means a cartridge, shell, or other device containing explosive or incendiary material designed and intended for use in a firearm.
(3) "Child" means an individual under the age of 16 years.
(4) (i) "Firearm" means a handgun, rifle, shotgun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun, as those terms are defined in § 4-201 of this title, or any other firearm.
(ii) "Firearm" does not include an antique firearm as defined in § 4-201 of this title.
(b) Exceptions. -- This section does not apply if:
(1) the child's access to a firearm is supervised by an individual at least 18 years old;
(2) the child's access to a firearm was obtained as a result of an unlawful entry;
(3) the firearm is in the possession or control of a law enforcement officer while the officer is engaged in official duties; or
(4) the child has a certificate of firearm and hunter safety issued under § 10-301.1 of the Natural Resources Article.
(c) Prohibited. -- A person may not store or leave a loaded firearm in a location where the person knew or should have known that an unsupervised child would gain access to the firearm.
(d) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $ 1,000.
(e) Effect of violation. --
(1) A violation of this section may not:
(i) be considered evidence of negligence;
(ii) be considered evidence of contributory negligence;
(iii) limit liability of a party or an insurer; or
(iv) diminish recovery for damages arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or operation of a firearm or ammunition.
(2) A party, witness, or lawyer may not refer to a violation of this section during a trial of a civil action that involves property damage, personal injury, or death.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.