2016 Maryland Code
Title 4 - Weapon Crimes
Subtitle 1 - General Provisions
§ 4-102. Deadly weapons on school property
(a) Exceptions. -- This section does not apply to:
(1) a law enforcement officer in the regular course of the officer's duty;
(2) an off-duty law enforcement officer or a person who has retired as a law enforcement officer in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a local unit in the State who is a parent, guardian, or visitor of a student attending a school located on the public school property, provided that:
(i) the officer or retired officer is displaying the officer's or retired officer's badge or credential;
(ii) the weapon carried or possessed by the officer or retired officer is concealed; and
(iii) the officer or retired officer is authorized to carry a concealed handgun in the State;
(3) a person hired by a county board of education specifically for the purpose of guarding public school property;
(4) a person engaged in organized shooting activity for educational purposes; or
(5) a person who, with a written invitation from the school principal, displays or engages in a historical demonstration using a weapon or a replica of a weapon for educational purposes.
(b) Prohibited. -- A person may not carry or possess a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property.
(c) Penalty. --
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $ 1,000 or both.
(2) A person who is convicted of carrying or possessing a handgun in violation of this section shall be sentenced under Subtitle 2 of this title.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.