2016 Maryland Code
Title 10 - Crimes Against Public Health, Conduct, and Sensibilities
Subtitle 6 - Crimes Relating to Animals
§ 10-613. Sale of puppy or kitten
(a) Scope of section. -- This section does not apply to:
(1) a biomedical facility that is licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture; or
(2) an animal that is accompanied by a signed statement from a licensed veterinarian stating that the animal's dam is incapacitated for humane or medical reasons and cannot care for the animal.
(b) Prohibited. --
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person may not sell or distribute in the State or bring into the State for the purpose of sale or distribution a domestic dog or cat less than 8 weeks of age unless accompanied by its dam.
(2) A person may give an unaccompanied dog or cat to:
(i) an animal shelter or pound that is operated or supported by a government; or
(ii) a humane society.
(c) Penalty. --
(1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $ 500.
(2) For purposes of humane disposal, a court may seize an animal brought into this State in violation of this section.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.