2016 Maryland Code
Title 10 - Crimes Against Public Health, Conduct, and Sensibilities
Subtitle 6 - Crimes Relating to Animals
§ 10-608. Aggravated cruelty to animals -- Certain activities related to cockfights prohibited
(a) "Implement of cockfighting" defined. --
(1) In this section, "implement of cockfighting" means any implement or device intended or designed:
(i) to enhance the fighting ability of a fowl, cock, or other bird; or
(ii) for use in a deliberately conducted event that uses a fowl, cock, or other bird to fight with another fowl, cock, or other bird.
(2) "Implement of cockfighting" includes:
(i) a gaff;
(ii) a slasher;
(iii) a postiza;
(iv) a sparring muff; and
(v) any other sharp implement designed to be attached in place of the natural spur of a gamecock or other fighting bird.
(b) Prohibited acts. -- A person may not:
(1) use or allow the use of a fowl, cock, or other bird to fight with another animal;
(2) possess, with the intent to unlawfully use, an implement of cockfighting;
(3) arrange or conduct a fight in which a fowl, cock, or other bird fights with another fowl, cock, or other bird;
(4) possess, own, sell, transport, or train a fowl, cock, or other bird with the intent to use the fowl, cock, or other bird in a cockfight; or
(5) knowingly allow premises under the person's ownership, charge, or control to be used to conduct a fight in which a fowl, cock, or other bird fights with another fowl, cock, or other bird.
(c) Penalty. --
(1) A person who violates this section is guilty of the felony of aggravated cruelty to animals and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $ 5,000 or both.
(2) As a condition of sentencing, the court may order a defendant convicted of violating this section to participate in and pay for psychological counseling.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.