2016 Maryland Code
Title 7 - Collection Agencies
Subtitle 3 - Licenses
§ 7-308. Reprimands, suspensions, and revocations -- Grounds
(a) In general. -- Subject to the hearing provisions of § 7-309 of this subtitle, the Board may reprimand a licensee or suspend or revoke a license if the licensee or any owner, director, officer, member, partner, or agent of the licensee:
(1) makes any material misstatement in an application for a license;
(2) is convicted under the laws of the United States or of any state of:
(i) a felony; or
(ii) a misdemeanor that is directly related to the fitness and qualification of the person to engage in the collection agency business;
(3) in connection with the collection of any consumer claim:
(i) commits any fraud; or
(ii) engages in any illegal or dishonest activities;
(4) knowingly or negligently violates the Maryland Consumer Debt Collection Act; or
(5) fails to comply with a lawful order that the Board passes under this title.
(b) Multiple licenses. -- If the Board finds that a ground for suspension or revocation of a license applies to more than 1 place of business that the licensee operates, the Board may act against:
(1) each license of the licensee; or
(2) only the licenses to which the ground applies.
(c) Considerations. -- In determining whether to reprimand a licensee or to suspend or revoke a license for a reason described in subsection (a)(2) of this section, the Board shall consider:
(1) the nature of the crime;
(2) the relationship of the crime to the activities authorized by the license;
(3) with respect to a felony, the relevance of the conviction to the fitness and qualification of the licensee to engage in the collection agency business;
(4) the length of time since the conviction; and
(5) the behavior and activities of the licensee since the conviction.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.