2015 Maryland Code
Title 20 - HUMAN RELATIONS
Subtitle 1 - DEFINITIONS
§ 20-101 - Definitions
(a) In general. -- In Subtitles 1 through 11 of this title the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) Commission. -- "Commission" means the Commission on Civil Rights.
(c) Complainant. -- "Complainant" means a person that files a complaint alleging a discriminatory act under this title.
(d) Discriminatory act. -- "Discriminatory act" means an act prohibited under:
(1) Subtitle 3 of this title (Discrimination in Places of Public Accommodation);
(2) Subtitle 4 of this title (Discrimination by Persons Licensed or Regulated by Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation);
(3) Subtitle 5 of this title (Discrimination in Leasing of Commercial Property);
(4) Subtitle 6 of this title (Discrimination in Employment);
(5) Subtitle 7 of this title (Discrimination in Housing); or
(6) Subtitle 8 of this title (Aiding, Abetting, or Attempting Discriminatory Act; Obstructing Compliance).
(e) Gender identity. -- "Gender identity" means the gender-related identity, appearance, expression, or behavior of a person, regardless of the person's assigned sex at birth, which may be demonstrated by:
(1) consistent and uniform assertion of the person's gender identity; or
(2) any other evidence that the gender identity is sincerely held as part of the person's core identity.
(f) Respondent. --
(1) "Respondent" means a person accused in a complaint of a discriminatory act.
(2) "Respondent" includes a person identified during an investigation of a complaint and joined as an additional or substitute respondent.
(g) Sexual orientation. -- "Sexual orientation" means the identification of an individual as to male or female homosexuality, heterosexuality, or bisexuality.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.