2015 Maryland Code
Title 11 - MARYLAND CONDOMINIUM ACT
§ 11-120 - Expanding condominiums
(a) Developer may reserve right to expand. -- A developer may reserve the right to expand the condominium by subjecting additional sections of property to the condominium regime in a manner so that as each additional section of property is subjected to the condominium regime:
(1) The percentage interests in the common elements of the unit owners in preceding sections shall be reduced and appropriate percentage interests in the common elements of the added sections shall vest in them; and
(2) Appropriate percentage interests in the common elements of the preceding sections shall vest in unit owners in the added sections.
(b) Conditions to which reservation subject. -- The reservation of the right to expand a condominium is subject to the conditions provided in this subsection.
(1) The declaration establishing the condominium shall describe each parcel of property which may be included in each section to be added to the condominium. This description may be made by reference to the condominium plat.
(2) The declaration establishing the condominium shall show:
(i) The maximum number of units which may be added; and
(ii) The percentage interests in the common elements, the percentage interests in the common expenses and common profits, and the number of votes appurtenant to each unit following the addition of each section of property to the condominium, if added. The percentage interests in the common elements and in common expenses and common profits, and the number of votes that each unit owner will have may be shown by reference to a formula or other appropriate method of determining them following each expansion of the condominium.
(3) The condominium plat for the original condominium shall include, in general terms, the outlines of the land, buildings, and common elements of each successive section that may be added to the condominium.
(4) In the declaration establishing the condominium a right shall be reserved in the developer for a period, not exceeding 10 years from the date of recording of the declaration, to add to the condominium any successive section described in the declaration and in the condominium plat.
(c) Recordation of amendments to declaration and plat. --
(1) If there is compliance with the conditions of subsection (b) of this section, successive sections of property may be added to the condominium if the developer (i) records an amendment to the declaration, showing the new percentage interests of the unit owners, and the votes which each unit owner may cast in the condominium as expanded, and (ii) records an amendment to the condominium plat that includes the detail and information concerning the new section as required in the original condominium plat.
(2) On recordation of the amendment of the declaration and plat, each unit owner, by operation of law, has the percentage interests in the common elements, and in the common expenses and common profits, and shall have the number of votes, set forth in the amendment to the declaration. Following any expansion, the interest of any mortgagee shall attach, by operation of law, to the new percentage interests in the common elements appurtenant to the unit on which it is a lien.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.