2015 Maryland Code
Title 11 - MARYLAND CONDOMINIUM ACT
§ 11-112 - Eminent domain
(a) "Taking under the power of eminent domain" defined. -- In this section, the term "taking under the power of eminent domain" includes any sale in settlement of any pending or threatened condemnation proceeding.
(b) Allocation of award -- Provisions in declaration or bylaws. -- The declaration or bylaws may provide for an allocation of any award for a taking under the power of eminent domain of all or a part of the condominium. The declaration or bylaws also may provide for (1) reapportionment or other change of the percentage interests appurtenant to each unit remaining after any taking; (2) the rebuilding, relocation, or restoration of any improvements so taken in whole or in part; and (3) the termination of the condominium regime following any taking.
(c) Allocation of award -- In absence of provisions in declaration or bylaws. -- Unless otherwise provided in the declaration or bylaws, any damages for a taking of all or part of a condominium shall be awarded as follows:
(1) Each unit owner shall be entitled to the entire award for the taking of all or part of his respective unit and for consequential damages to his unit.
(2) Any award for the taking of limited common elements shall be allocated to the unit owners of the units to which the use of those limited common elements is restricted in proportion to their respective percentage interests in the common elements.
(3) Any award for the taking of general common elements shall be allocated to all unit owners in proportion to their respective percentage interests in the common elements.
(d) Reconstruction following taking. -- Unless otherwise provided in the declaration or bylaws, following the taking of a part of a condominium, the council of unit owners shall not be obligated to replace improvements taken but promptly shall undertake to restore the remaining improvements of the condominium to a safe and habitable condition. Any costs of such restoration shall be a common expense.
(e) Adjustment of percentage interests following taking; effect of taking on votes appurtenant to unit. -- Unless provided in the declaration or bylaws, following the taking of all or a part of any unit, the percentage interests appurtenant to the unit shall be adjusted in proportion as the amount of floor area of the unit so taken bears to the floor area of the unit prior to the taking. The council of unit owners promptly shall prepare and record an amendment to the declaration reflecting the new percentage interests appurtenant to the unit. Subject to subsection (g) of this section:
(1) Following the taking of part of a unit the votes appurtenant to that unit shall be appurtenant to the remainder of that unit; and
(2) Following the taking of all of a unit the right to vote appurtenant to the unit shall terminate.
(f) Priority in distribution of damages for each unit. -- All damages for each unit shall be distributed in accordance with the priority of interests at law or in equity in each respective unit.
(g) Taking not to include percentage interests or votes. -- Except to the extent specifically described in the condemnation declaration or grant in lieu thereof, a taking of all or part of a unit may not include any of the percentage interests or votes appurtenant to the unit.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.