2015 Maryland Code
Title 11 - MARYLAND CONDOMINIUM ACT
§ 11-101 - Definitions
(a) In general. -- In this title the following words have the meanings indicated unless otherwise apparent from context.
(b) Board of directors. --
(1) "Board of directors" means the persons to whom some or all of the powers of the council of unit owners have been delegated under this title or under the condominium bylaws.
(2) "Board of directors" includes any reference to "board".
(c) Common elements. --
(1) "Common elements" means all of the condominium except the units.
(2) "Limited common elements" means those common elements identified in the declaration or on the condominium plat as reserved for the exclusive use of one or more but less than all of the unit owners.
(3) "General common elements" means all the common elements except the limited common elements.
(d) Common expenses and common profits. -- "Common expenses and common profits" means the expenses and profits of the council of unit owners.
(e) Condominium. -- "Condominium" means property subject to the condominium regime established under this title.
(f) Council of unit owners. -- "Council of unit owners" means the legal entity described in § 11-109 of this title.
(g) Developer. -- "Developer" means any person who subjects his property to the condominium regime established by this title.
(h) Electronic transmission. -- "Electronic transmission" means any form of communication, not directly involving the physical transmission of paper, that creates a record that:
(1) May be retained, retrieved, and reviewed by a recipient of the communication; and
(2) May be reproduced directly in paper form by a recipient through an automated process.
(i) Governing body. -- "Governing body" means the council of unit owners, board of directors, or any committee of the council of unit owners or board of directors.
(j) Housing agency. -- "Housing agency" means a housing agency of a county or incorporated municipality or some other agency or entity of a county or incorporated municipality designated as such by law or ordinance.
(k) Mortgagee. -- "Mortgagee" means the holder of any recorded mortgage, or the beneficiary of any recorded deed of trust, encumbering one or more units.
(l) Moving expenses. -- "Moving expenses" means costs incurred to:
(1) Hire contractors, labor, trucks, or equipment for the transportation of personal property;
(2) Pack and unpack personal property;
(3) Disconnect and install personal property;
(4) Insure personal property to be moved; and
(5) Disconnect and reconnect utilities such as telephone service, gas, water, and electricity.
(m) Occupant. -- "Occupant" means any lessee or guest of a unit owner.
(n) Percentage interests. -- "Percentage interests" means the interests, expressed as a percentage, fraction or proportion, established in accordance with § 11-107 of this title.
(o) Property. -- "Property" means unimproved land, land together with improvements thereon, improvements without the underlying land, or riparian or littoral rights associated with land. Property may consist of noncontiguous parcels or improvements.
(p) Rental facility. -- "Rental facility" means property containing dwelling units intended to be leased to persons who occupy the dwellings as their residences.
(q) Unit. -- "Unit" means a three-dimensional space identified as such in the declaration and on the condominium plat and shall include all improvements contained within the space except those excluded in the declaration, the boundaries of which are established in accordance with § 11-103(a)(3) of this title. A unit may include 2 or more noncontiguous spaces.
(r) Unit owner. -- "Unit owner" means the person, or combination of persons, who hold legal title to a unit. A mortgagee or a trustee designated under a deed of trust, as such, may not be deemed a unit owner.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.