2015 Maryland Code
Title 19 - PROPERTY AND CASUALTY INSURANCE
Subtitle 5 - MOTOR VEHICLE INSURANCE -- PRIMARY COVERAGE
§ 19-508 - Personal injury protection coverage -- Payment of benefits
(a) In general. --
(1) Subject to paragraphs (2) and (3) of this subsection, an insurer shall make all payments of the benefits described in § 19-505 of this subtitle periodically as claims for the benefits arise and within 30 days after the insurer receives satisfactory proof of claim.
(2) A policy that contains the coverage described in § 19-505 of this subtitle may:
(i) set a period of not less than 12 months after the date of the motor vehicle accident within which the original claim for benefits must be filed with the insurer; and
(ii) provide that if, after a lapse in the period of total disability or in the medical treatment of an injured individual who has received benefits under that coverage, the individual claims additional benefits based on an alleged recurrence of the injury for which the original claim for benefits was made, the insurer may require reasonable medical proof of the alleged recurrence.
(3) The aggregate benefits payable to an individual under this subsection may not exceed the maximum limits stated in the policy.
(b) Notice to insured. --
(1) When an insurer that provides the benefits described in § 19-505 of this subtitle receives written notice from an insured of the occurrence of a motor vehicle accident for which benefits may be available under § 19-505 of this subtitle, the insurer shall notify the insured by mail of the latest date on which a claim may be filed for benefits under § 19-505 of this subtitle as provided in subsection (a)(2)(i) of this section.
(2) An insurer is not required under paragraph (1) of this subsection to send any notice to the insured as to any first party claim for benefits other than the benefits under § 19-505 of this subtitle.
(c) Interest on overdue payments. -- Payments of benefits that are not made in accordance with this section and that are overdue shall bear simple interest at the rate of 1.5% per month.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.